Whether you are looking for a show dog, a herding or agility prospect, or just new best friend, we here at Kalypso Kennels strive to ensure that the puppy you receive from us will be a happy, healthy, life long companion for you and your family. All breeds of dogs are predisposed to certain inherited diseases and genetic defects. Through DNA testing, veterinary evaluations, and carefully planned breedings, these risks can be greatly minimized if not eliminated altogether. All of the dogs at Kalypso Kennels have undergone the necessary evaluations to ensure that our puppies are the healthiest they can be.
Even if you don't purchase your puppy from us, be sure to ask ANY breeder that you are considering doing business with if their dogs have been tested and what kind of health guarantees they offer.
HEREDITARY DISEASE GUARANTEE:
* CERF/CAER Testing - Canine Eye Registration Foundation/Companion Animal Eye Registry - Genetic eye problems are common in almost all breeds of dogs. A CERF/CAER test is performed by a certified veterinary opthalmologist. During the test, the vet looks for approximately 25 different heritable eye defects. All Kalypso Kennels dogs are CERF/CAER tested before they are used for breeding. We offer a TWO YEAR guarantee against genetic eye defects which are NOT considered "breeder optional" diagnoses by CERF/CAER. A certified veterinary opthalmologist must perform the CERF/CAER evaluation.
* OFA or Penn-Hip Certification - Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA) and/or University of Pennsylvania Hip Certification (Penn-Hip) - Hip Dysplasia (aka degenerative joint disease) is another common genetic disease found in most breeds of dogs. OFA or PennHip certification involves having a veterinarian take x-rays of the dogs hip joints. The x-ray is then sent to OFA or PennHip for evaluation and the dog is given a "grade". OFA grades of Excellent, Good, and Fair are all considered normal, non-dysplastic grades. PennHip scores the subject dog against other dogs of the same breed to determine if the subject dog's hips are better or worse than the median for the breed. OFA certification can not be done until a dog is 2 years old, although a preliminary evaluation can be done prior to that. All Kalypso Kennels dogs are certified or have a preliminary evaluation. We offer a TWO YEAR guarantee against the debilitating affects of hip dysplasia.
* vWD Testing - von Willebrand's Disease - vWD is a blood clotting disorder found in Pembroke Welsh Corgis. A DNA test is available to determine if the dog is "Clear" (does not carry the gene), is a "Carrier" (has one copy of the gene), or is "Affected" (has two copies of the gene). "Affected" dogs will have the disease. Since "Carrier" dogs only have one copy of the gene, they do not have the disease, but can pass the gene on to their offspring. As long as a "Carrier" is only bred to a "Clear" dog, then there is no chance of the offspring being "Affected". All Kalypso Kennels Corgis have been DNA tested for vWD. We offer a LIFETIME guarantee against "affected" vWD puppies.
CONTAGIOUS DISEASE HEALTH GUARANTEE:
* All Kalypso Kennels puppies will receive age appropriate vaccinations. New owners will need to get additional puppy boosters dependent upon age or as otherwise recommended by your veterinarian.
* All Kalypso Kennels puppies will be dewormed every 2 weeks starting at 2-3 weeks of age. New owners should follow a routine deworming schedule as recommended by your veterinarian.
* All puppies being shipped to new owners will come with a health certificate from a veterinarian.
* Kalypso Kennels guarantees all puppies to be free of contagious diseases when the buyer takes ownership of the puppy. If, within 48 hours of purchase, it is determined by a licensed veterinarian that the puppy has a contagious illness, the buyer may return the puppy to Kalypso Kennels within 48 hours of the diagnosis for a full refund. Kalypso Kennels shall not be responsible for any expenses; veterinary, travel, or otherwise, incurred by the buyer. ** Internal parasites are common in puppies and are NOT considered a contagious illness under the terms of this guarantee.
If you are purchasing a puppy as a companion or pet, Kalypso Kennels REQUIRES that you spay or neuter your puppy. Spayed or neutered puppies make happier, more content pets, and there is less headache for you the owner!
* The puppy must be spayed or neutered on or before it's first birthday. * The buyer shall provide Kalypso Kennels with a copy of the veterinarian's invoice within 14 days after the surgery.
* All pet puppies come with limited AKC registration. Show puppies are sold on co-owns only with show contracts. * All puppies have their tails docked and dew claws removed by a licensed veterinarian.